Tuesday 13 January 2009

On Pseudonymous Blogging

Every now and again the issue of pseudonymous blogging gets thrown around. For or against! Why aren't you 'accountable' etc? I've had that a couple of times - and I've seen it laid on other noms-de-plume when things get heated in blog debates. I'm not sure its a very good line of approach with anyone in that situation. I mean, who the crap is "Harry Smith" (his own ACTUAL name etc), after all?

I certainly don't criticize anyone who chooses to blog under their real name - I admire them in fact. It shows a certain durable surety of personhood: i.e. in all weathers I will write exactly as I will be pleased to account for in the cold light of day, tomorrow morning.

Screw that! I blog pissed too often to want that sort of straitjacket, thanks. And to be honest: I work as an academic, and would certainly be a lot more restrained on some issues, if blogging under my own name.

Is that inauthentic of me? I don't think so - in fact, I rather think the opposite. I work all day in an environment that requires some methodological rigour. I might be good, bad, or indifferent at it, but as you might imagine, I don't write like this in journal articles. Nor do I rant at max velocity (of four spelling errors per line) at my students, like I sometimes will on the big blogs. Me, I come blogward to blow off steam, relax, shoot the shit, have a larf. And sure, to say what I really think - albeit in a bone lazy way.

And that's my point, against the occasional charges of inauthenticity: blogging under my own name would, I fear, ultimately make me less honest. Precisely because it would make me more 'accountable'.

And you know, I didn't come here to be brought to account. So sue me!

That said, any moniker does tend to have the effect of creating a character over time. In my case, Lefty E (formerly know as Lefty Elitist, before the forces of evil were routed in the culture wars *wink*) is probably more of mannered, idiosyncratic character than I am in person. But hey, I've grown to like him - and the Keating Towers of his mind, in which he dwells.

Incidentally, he's not so big on Portuguese Forts in Asia - the wanker! That's me. Whoever I am. Not that its that hard to find out, I imagine. But lets face it, its all more fun this way, wouldn't you say, Harry?

9 comments:

Kerryn Goldsworthy said...

Well, I quite enjoyed the heady days of anonymity as Pavlov's Cat. But then I got involved in a stoush where my real name was relevant, and not revealing it could have been seen as (and felt) dishonest. The alternative was to withdraw from the argument, which I was not prepared to do, since it meant failing to defend a friend from ignorant, vicious attacks.

Ah dear, swings and roundabouts, swings and roundabouts.

Anonymous said...

If certain people get up on a really high horse about this, perhaps they aren't (like me) employed in a staid and ordinary corporate environment where an out-there identity as a political and feminist blogger would probably be viewed as a breach of employment conditions, at worst, and at best a symptom of weirdness and unsuitability.

And depend on such employment to pay their mortgage and feed their children.

How nice for them. (Sniff)

Now - boy or girl, Lefty E? You know what I'm talking about!

Lefty E said...

Oh, ok Pav, I dint realsise you started pseudo and went realo! Circumstances sounds reasonabe to me!

And Helen, right on. I cant imagine anything worse than my boss being able to track how often I posted in work hours!

Oh and my daughter's a girl, if that's what you mean :0

Fine said...

Lefty E, I know about your love of French 60's pop music, so I thought you might be interested in the William Klein season that starts at ACMI on Jan 22nd. I don't know how much much pop music there is in the films, 'cos I haven't seen them, but William Klein was an American filmmaker living in Paris in the 60's who made films about French popular culture and fashion. Tres, tres chic.

My moniker is actually the name of the first racehorse I looked after who was indeed a fine little horse.

Anonymous said...

Good post, Izquierdista, but why does it have to be either/or? Different forums call for different appellations. It's not sockpuppeting if you're not trying to fool anyone.
...
My name really is Liam. My gravatar is as close an approximation as I could get without artistic talent. I really do wear a beret, especially when it's cold. The red star was added afterwards by CGI.

Lefty E said...

That's Fine, I'll check that out! Love going to the ACMI- it always reminds me how brilliant it is to live to Melbourne!

Liam - sure, the for/ against thing was in the "argle-bargle? or fooferon?" meeja mode there. I'm merely defending the value of pseudonymous blogging against the (occasional) slurs on its person!

Anonymous said...

I think that all bloggers should be accountable and use their real names on all occasions.

Absolutely no exceptions!

Lefty E said...

ha!

Im liking yer blog there, nofun. Ex-Quincelander myself, you know.

Anonymous said...

Cheers lefty. :)