Sunday 18 January 2009

Lusobeats #3: Tin Tin por Tin Tin

There is only one master of Bossa Nova.
há somente um maestro de Bossa Nova.
His name is João Gilberto.
seu nome é João Gilberto


Update: I was a bit pissed when I posted this marvellous Bossa song, and I couldn't then be bothered adding this comment. Which is this: Faz favor, don't go buying those cruddy "Bachelor pad" style Bossa Nova compilations. Brazilian Bossa Nova became a real fad in the US circa '62-'65, and some truly dreadful covers and chintzy rip-offs were made.

Ok, yes, they're twee etc in that "look, I'm a hatstand" way, but its not Bossa. Não é bossa, compreende? If you really must hear the genre in English, I can recommend Antonio Jobim - who wrote his own lyrics in English. And he's great. Samba on one note is a premier example. Trust me, no tweemonger translated that for the hatstand market - Jobim rewrote the English lyrics himself.

No comments: