Tuesday 25 November 2008

Film Noir: what's that all about?

Who knows, but its no doubt referred to as "film noor" in certain northern suburbs of Melbourne that shall remain ... mispronounced.

Anyhow, ill-informed, but keen as always, I trundled down the the Carlton Nova a couple of years back and saw Sin City, on various recommendations. Here's a short review of that: 5 lattes, with a biscotti on the side.

And here's a pre-review of what's next: I've got a small stack of vids lined up to investigate further. These include, inter alia, Jules Dassin' Night and the City (1950) and Allen Baron's Blast of Silence (1961). I might go watch one now!

But before that, any other Film Noir recommendations, oh ye denizens of the internet? And moreover, what is the essence of film noir anyway?

A dinner party one-liner will do - I'm that sort of guy. Shallow, with a heart of pure shiny tinfoil.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Film Noir: when the blondes are cold and the guns are hot.

Double Indemnity is essential, if I had to pick just one.

The Postman Always Rings Twice - I read the book recently and was tres shocked at how racy it was.

Any of those Marlowe/Spade movies of the 40s/50s. Maltese Falcon, Murder My Sweet.

A modern one: the Coen Bro's Blood Simple.

Anonymous said...

Noir has been analysed to death. Ebert's take is pithy:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19950130/COMMENTARY/11010314/1023

Mandy's listed some classics. Here are some excellent neo-noir fillums for you to check out also:

The Last Seduction

The Usual Suspects*

Memento

The Departed

Croupier

Eastern Promises

The Spanish Prisoner

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

AND, OBLIGATORY:

Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid

*Just in case you've been foolish enough to miss it for some bizarre reason.

Lefty E said...

Ahahaha - great link Fyodor. Thats Ebert's like the War Nerd, for Film. I'm clued up now. Might poke around his site some more.

Ok, have seen Usual Suspects, and Blood Simple. Otherwise I'm a babe in the woods. Will follow up on both your high priority picks there - both of which I have a t least heard of.

Incidentally: you'll like 'Blast of Silence'. Low budget noir from NYC,'61. I reckon a young de Niro might have seen Allen Baron in the lead.

Co-incidentally: I saw Le Samourai on on earlier tip of yours, Fyodor. How cool is Alain Delon? Fought in French Indochina apparently, so he aint bluffing with the pistols.

Ive never been one for crime fiction - I can see noir would be standard issue cultural knowledge if you were.

Anonymous said...

"How cool is Alain Delon?"

Very.

Lefty E said...

Tres.

Incidentally, any visits to China recently, old bean? Or did BmL get a genuine hit from our friends and trading partners in the far East?

Its pathetic how much I love those little neoworx flags.

Anonymous said...

Not me, Binky. Must be PLA cyberwarfare recon getting clumsy.

Lefty E said...

Hmmm. Obviously I was hoping for German irredentists operating out of Tsingtao, but that'll have to do. What gets the flags flying!

Anonymous said...

Chinatown!!

Lefty E said...

Ah, yes of course Amanda - and I've even seen it!

I assume Mulholland Falls is, [pepe le pew] 'ow yoo say... noir?

Oh look: here's a groovy page of noir, and "neo-noir" (post 1960, it alleges) films: http://www.springfieldlibrary.org/reading/film_noir.html

I dunno tho: Klute?