Monday 17 November 2008

50th Post Celebratory Ramble

Yes, bite up, punters, cos its the quinquagenary latte here at BmL!

How far it's all come. It seems like only yesterday that I tentatively posted my first, er, post, and people were saying, 'oh come on, a blog based loosely on Portuguese Forts in Asia will never take off' yada yada.

How right they were. But hey ..... chuck in a few erratic DVD reviews, a dash of forgotten Europop, a couple of quality regulars, some obsessional Luso-miscellany, all topped off with a systematic failure to reflect on current events (fort management concluded a while back this was best dealt with elsewhere, at a proper blog) - and I've thoroughly enjoyed myself, which is surely the main thing.

And hey, 1200 site visitors from 44 countries can't be wrong (even if a surprising proportion of them can in fact be me - or indeed, other Capitãos on clandestine missions Lisbon hasn't informed me of, in their wisdom).

And so, as the sun goes down over the fort parapet at Solor ('Asia-Pacific region'), and the trade winds flutter the lateen sail in the caravel, in sandalwood I dream once more of..... France Gall.

A rather strange, but scrummy-fab clip from 1964, Les rubans et la fleur. Check the dude, who apparently wasn't told the Algerian war of independence was lost two years earlier. When she sings to herself at 0.45 I go all weak at the knees. Mon Dieu. Vive la France!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Another couple of months and you'll have a blogiversary to boot.

Let me state that I've enjoyed your blogging immensely and hope very much that you'll do lots more.

"digonin" - thank you, I shall.

Lefty E said...

Well cheers, Fyodor. Always a pleasure to have you fortside, in between trade missions, et votre toures de entrepôts.