Sunday 13 July 2008

On turning 40

You know, the median age is more or less exactly 37 these days, here in the western Antipodes - so I slipped over to the old half some time back.

That said, there's no avoiding the significance of one's upcoming fortieth birthday - or is there? Just a couple of weeks of the 30s left now. It's been grand, I must say. At the start of this decade, I was an itinerant musician and part-time mental health worker, avoiding my PhD like the plague.

Now look at me. An academic at one of Victoria's premier lesser universities and part-time fort enthusiast, avoiding my overdue article like the plague.

I'm feeling rather sanguine, truth be told - though a few months back I think I started to go a bit wobbly about around the edges, and acting rather strangely. (For example, I went right off Portuguese forts in Asia for a good couple of weeks).

But now... meh. I'm just looking forward to the party. Otherwise feeling rather insouciant about it all.

So, what should I be thinking about at such a time? Health? Insurance? Comfortable footwear?Wills and probate?!!

Any wise thoughts and reflections from my elders welcome.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"what should I be thinking about at such a time?"
WWHSTD? (What Would Hunter S. Thompson Do?)
Lefty E, I think you answer is bourbon, mescaline and amphetamines, hunchbacked 500cc cafe racer motorcycles and un-neighbourly midnight gunfire. You know it'll make sense.
Hey, does your fort fetish extend to slave fortifications in Ghana, and have you read Rodney Cavalier's latest edition of his Southern Highlands Branch Newsletter?
If not, it's liam at liamhogan dot id dot au and you get a scanned copy of this bizarrely unmissable publication.

Lefty E said...

I'm in Liamista. Logging on as we speak. I'm thinking leeward and windward maroons.

Oh, "...and two ampules of diladin" (hang on , that might be Burroughs medicinal list....)

Alexis, Baron von Harlot said...

Fortification is the new thirtification. Portuguese or otherwise.

Lefty E said...

Ahahaa!! (or should i say 'LOL' as a cyber erm... talkin' guy)

That's an award winning comment, my dear Baron. You're quite right -I'm fortified!

Consider yourself July's 'Capitão do Fortaleza' here at BmL.

O meu Capitão, nós saudamo-lo.

Alexis, Baron von Harlot said...

Right back atcha, with the saudamo business.

Lefty E said...

Ah, mutual saudamos!

The 16th century Portuguese equivalent of a high 5.

More on global heritage salutes in forthcoming posts.