Thursday 24 July 2008

Cassavetes


Blimey. This was a discovery. I'm not really one of yer film buffs who nods sagely when Directors' names are dropped. More a film bluff.

But I just watched A Woman under the Influence, and John Cassavetes is the first director I would unreservedly declare a genius. Peter Falk and Gena Rowlands - the latter especially- give performances that are nothing short of harrowing in this psycho-drama. Soo-weeee. I had to watch it two sittings.

Apparently it wasn't going to be distributed until Scorcese threatened to pull his own film from a festival - unless this one got the nod. Which just goes to show Scorcese knows a thing or two about film. Unlike me. But I'd wager Mike Leigh is a big Cassavetes fan, wouldn't you say, erm....Margaret?

Five and a half lattes.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh is this your first Cassavetes?

Get Husbands now!

Lefty E said...

Husbands you say?

I will Amanda! Thanks. But pray tell, why will I like it?

Anonymous said...

Because it is my favourite one. And therefore the best.

In addition, its mostly just two hours of Falk, Gazzara and Cassavetes hisself -- their best performances on film I reckon.

Also, um, that whole turning 40 thing? And the being a bloke thing. To me it is incredibly moving on both those scores, but I am neither so your take would be interesting.

It has a lot of the cinematic hallmarks of JC in terms of shot composition, editing, pacing etc but at their most realised and poignant. It's one of the few films I can watch and rewatch -- and have my breath taken away each time.

Lefty E said...

Well, sounds just the ticket given my recent themes de blog, Amanda

Im going to take this opportunity to rtest how i use italics here

test

Lefty E said...

Ah, thats how!

Lefty E said...

Now 'inflating the number of comments' test

Lefty E said...

check.

Lefty E said...

I just watched 'Faces', Amanda. What a fantastic film. Reminds me a little of Who's afraid of Virgina Woolf, but edgier.

Anonymous said...

I first saw Cassavetes at uni and our film lecturer was a massive JC groupie. But the class was early on a Fruday morning after I had usually be at pub trivia to all hours Thursday night and we watched them on actual film -- the narcotic effect of tick tick tick of the projector in the dark meant I slept through lots of the first two, Faces and Shadows. But the third was Husbands and that made me sit up and take notice.

I have seen Husbands many times since but not the others so it might be time to revisit the earlier film with my more *cough* mature eye.

Lefty E said...

You studied film Amanda? Groovy!

Not me, wholly ill-informed dilettante. But I know what I like. sadly, my otherwise excellent vid store doesn't have Husbands.

I did see Blood Simple(Coen Bros first film) last night - which apparently everyone but me has already seen. Fantastic!

Anonymous said...

A solid second class hons, no less.

I could probably fix you up with a copy if you wanted.

Lefty E said...

I'm in for that Amanda! How would we arrange such a deal?

you can get me on:

lefty_e[at]yahoo.com.au