Monday 7 July 2008

A bit of woo

You know, like a lot of latte-swilling inner city leftoids, the overt trappings of nationalism are not really my bag. Not my thing. (Get a new flag and we'll talk though.)

But that doesn't mean I don't have a sense of place. And frankly, I really love a lot of Australian expressions. Especially old school ones that I heard when I was in primary school in the 70s; usually from then 50-60 year olds. You know the sort: blokes called Len, with a sybillant whistle, a 40s hat and form guide under the arm. Old sheilas called Beryl or Esme with a fascinator, and the air of having hatboxes secreted in top cupboards at home.

One of my faves was "let's have a bit of woo" (i.e. everyone calm down).

Another was the favoured declamation of my own grandmother: "my hat!"

Or referring to teenagers as "young blades". Or "tiger". Steady on there, tiger.

Most of these I haven't heard in ages. So, in the spirit of cultural heritage preservation, feel free to like, document any like, disappearing personal faves. Dude.

2 comments:

Alexis, Baron von Harlot said...

My Pa still listens to the wireless. (And he has a little joke. It goes like this: he gives me a twenty cent piece and says, "Take yourself to the pictures, love". Haw haw. Everyone knows you can't get into the pictures for twenty cents. It costs at least five dollars.)

Lefty E said...

Ah yes, from the "don't spend it all in one place" school of japes.