Wednesday 1 December 2010

Pas Malle!

You know, for someone pretending to be Portuguese, I really do watch a lot of French cinema. My latest film obsession aboard the Fortaleza do Mar is Louis Malle.

Malle studied beside the master,  Robert Bresson, and directed some of the most interesting French films of the 70s. Who else but Malle would direct Lacombe Lucien, an exploration of French collaboration during the occupation. More fine films include Murmur of the Heart; an absolutely hilarious and brilliant Bildungsroman tale.

I'm almost a bit scared to watch Damage, which currently looms of the port bow - I wonder how his work will translate to English language cinema.

Update: Woah! That was about as intense as watching a video gets.

2 comments:

Kerryn Goldsworthy said...

V v scary movie.

WV clearly thinks so too: 'coaxwked'

Lefty E said...

WV: Nimedo! (which curiously, is close to "No fear" in Portuguese)

Its a wild film. I cant believe Id never seen it.