Wednesday 9 December 2009

The Parting Glass: Vale Liam Clancy

Sad news from Ireland that Liam Clancy, of the Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem, has died. They made Irish music roll like no-one before or since, and Liam was their mainstay. Bob Dylan was a huge fan, and said of Liam “I never heard a singer as good as him ever. He was just the best ballad singer I ever heard in my life, still is probably.” Those who saw the Scorcese doco on Dylan will have seen him recalling Liam Clancy's exhortation to the young singer, then starting out in Greenwich Village: "No fear, no malice, no envy".

Great advice. (Not that Bob followed it.)

In any case, my old man played the Clancy Brothers over and over through my childhood, and I grew to love their rollicking, twee-free, passionate sound - and also the native wit and literary sensibility of their stage humour between tracks on the live albums. And at the old man's funeral, at his oft-repeated request,were sung Shoals of Herring and Fields of Athenry. The Liam Clancy versions.

And so, a parting glass, to the magnificent Liam Clancy. Slán agus beannacht leat.

Oh, all the comrades e'er I had,
They're sorry for my going away,
And all the sweethearts e'er I had,
They'd wish me one more day to stay,
But since it falls unto my lot,
That I should rise and you should not,
I gently rise and softly call,
Good night and joy be with you all.


7 comments:

Kerryn Goldsworthy said...

Oh, lovely.

I've known the song for ages through the Voice Squad, who do a three-part harmony version as is their wont and are in their own way fabulous, but this guy is amazing.

Fyodor said...

ANFSCD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD908qova_k&feature=related

Anonymous said...

In Christopher Koch's account of his time in Ireland he has a lot to say about Liam Clancy. Liam took him around to different pubs and places in search of Irish music. It's a great read.
Henry

Lefty E said...

He is amazing pav - he was the consummate performer and stylist of his genre, with the finest voice too. Its quite an achievement of the Clancy bros that they were never - ever - twee: the curse of most folkies.

I think you'll enjoy this one Pav, the Clancy brothers in their heyday, on Joyce and Finnegan - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caFT61Wy_n0

Lefty E said...

Fyodor - heh. Yes, that's a deeply moving tribute to the folk genre. As are these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0hyExZ9Dfo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3J-_fAavm4

Ta for the book tip Henry!

Fyodor said...

*stands, applauds*

Oh, good get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzkILGr2-Ok&feature=related

Lefty E said...

I saw that one earlier, and hehed. Its lower-vol than Spinal Tap (goes up to 7, not 11) - but A Mighty Wind remains one of me faves.