Sunday 26 July 2009

Pijin blong Solomon

Here's a few pics of signs and ads in the national language of Solomon Islands Pijin. I must confess I didn't pick up very much after one week in Honiara - only Lukim yu (see you later) and Tanggio tumas (thanks very much). Oh, and Solomon Islanders say "set" a lot - to indicate that everything is good or fine.
























I'm told that Solomons Pijin, Tok Pisin of PNG and Bislama of Vanuatu are all mutually intelligible - effectively creating a pan-Melanesian lingua franca.















Oh, and mind where you chew your betelnut, tanggio tumas.

4 comments:

Fyodor said...

Favourite Bislama Expression of All Time: bag blong titi.

Lefty E said...

Hmmm, would that be a bra, by any chance?

I like 'Doctor Lukimteeth' (dentist).

Fyodor said...

Yairs.

WV: "frestsup". If only that "f" were a "b", beckit.

Lefty E said...

Ah good, I'm starting to get how it works. Set.

Lukim you!