Monday 2 February 2009

Chew My Chai #1

Yes, Chew My Chai! A new line in short, sharp reviews here at BmL. Two-lines max on DVDs, novels, music. Just how you like it: hot, and brief. And also just how I like it, cos I'm lazy. (PS If anyone can think of a better name for the series, I'll use it.)

Moofys
Fair Game: 1986 Ozploitation at its not-so-bad-really-est. Influenced Tarantino's Death Proof I hear. Main star married John Denver. Will keep you watching.

Slogan: Surprisingly good 1969 French film with Serge Gainsbourg and Jane Birkin. They met on set, so it all led to Charlotte, and is thus to be applauded. Ooh oui Je t'aime etc.

L'Enfer: From Chabrol, French master of intellectual thrillers, and also renowned Hitchcock scholar: a gripping peek at the wobbly line between jealousy and mental illness.

Buchs
His Illegal Self: Peter Carey's latest. Hmmm... Is it just me, or is this promising scenario involving 60s underground radicals in fact a disjointed tale, with uninteresting characters, that leads absolutely nowhere? Big fan. Disappointed.

Muzak
April March and Los Cincos: I know you were all wondering what April did after being in the Shitbirds. Well its this. I tink its noice.

PS Ta to Sam the Dog for the winning title!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chew my chai?

Anonymous said...

"a disjointed tale, with uninteresting characters"

With the exception of The Unusual Life of Tristan Smith and Bliss, this covers every Peter Carey book for me.

Lefty E said...

Harsh, Sam Harsh!

But yes, that IS how I feel about his latest.

Chew my chai aint bad... hmmm